Going for the gold with WinterKids Winter Games!
Our WinterKids Challenge for elementary schools is going for the gold in 2019! Two elementary schools in each of Maine’s 16 counties will compete in a four-week outdoor physical activity and nutrition challenge during the month of January for cash prizes, equipment and more.
The WinterKids Winter Games will inspire 7,635 students and 650 teachers and staff from every county in Maine to go for the gold!
Participating Schools for 2019:
2019 Results & Scores
Congratulations to our Gold, Silver and Bronze Medal Winners!
Gold Medal Winners: Searsport Elementary
Silver Medal Winners: Ames Elementary
Bronze Medal Winners: Canal School
Wild Card Winners
Each week, schools upload their favorite moment from the week. Our panel of judges then select three wild card winners to receive additional points toward their WinterGames totals!
Wild Card Winners, Week 1:
- First place: Dr. Levesque Elementary (3 points)
- Second Place: Prescott Memorial School (2 points)
- Third Place: Burchard A. Dunn School (1 point)
Wild Card Winners, Week 2:
- First place: Ames Elementary School (3 points)
- Second Place: Canal Elementary School (2 points)
- Third Place: Granite Street School (1 point)
Wild Card Winners, Week 3:
- First place: Searsport Elementary (3 points)
- Second Place: Ames Elementary School (2 points)
- Third Place: Ash Point Community School (1 point)
- Honorable Mention: Wiscasset Elementary School
Family Engagement Week Sponsor:
Wild Card Winners, Week 4:
- First place: Dr Levesque Elementary School (3 points)
- Second Place: Ames Elementary (2 points)
- Third Place: Helen Thompson School (1 point)
Winter Games 2019 Scoreboard
Each participating school can earn up to a total of 100 points for the successful completion of four weekly challenges*:
% of students who complete at least 5 physical activity challenges
% of students who complete at least 5 healthy eating activities
% of students who incorporate physical activity and nutrition at home
% of students who participate in a celebration of winter activity
*Schools can accrue additional points for school spirit, engagement with WinterKids, creativity, school-wide participation, opening & closing ceremonies, and collaborating with healthy eating and active living organizations in their community.
Gold Medal School
Silver Medal School
Bronze Medal School
1. Author Visit to Schools
2. Winter equipment for the school
3. Mini-library-(a few new selections for the school library)
Sarah Maxwell - Assistant Principal, Waldo T. Skillen School
School Nurse, Piscataquis Community Elementary School
Sam Person, PE Teacher Waterboro Elementary School
C. Agreste - School Nurse, Dayton Consolidated School
parents, teachers, school spirit, awareness, and fun? Participate in WinterKids Winter
Games!! Seriously had no idea how amazing this would be and what our community
was capable of! The support and Camaraderie is incredible. What a positive experience
this has been for our kids and all the parents too!"
C. Ellis - Principal, Miles Lane Elementary
Dayton Consolidated School Mom